What Does Child Custody Mean, And When Should You Seek A Lawyer?
Child custody is a term that is utilized for describing the obligations and rights of parents towards their child or children. If a married couple divorces or an unmarried couple has a child, then decisions ought to be made regarding who would support and take care of the child. When parents fail to agree on a point, the court decides on this matter on their behalf. An experienced and skilled child custody lawyer determines things that work in the best interest of the child. Additionally, he assists parents with the entire legal process.
Framing the case
Although there is sufficient guidance provided by prior case law and statute, a judge is provided discretion while making possession and conservatorship determinations. Due to this reason, it becomes vital to make a persuasive, concise, and clear argument that a parent’s desires connected to access to their child be fulfilled. If you have a Houston custody lawyer by your side, then you will be in an improved position. Again, your argument will influence the judge too. When you need to gain more information about your options for a conservatorship and legal rights, you need to have a consultation with a lawyer as soon as possible.
Before you visit the court for your child custody hearing, you must be aware of your arguments. Again, you must have the evidence prepared fully. Some tips to get started are:
- Dress professionally– Always dress conservatively and formally, as it will indicate that you are a sufficiently responsible adult.
- Become aware of your arguments– An experienced attorney would assist you in forming your arguments, like the capability of providing support for the needs of your child and living environment.
- Vital witnesses –It might be important to have witnesses who would be able to swear for your character, and it can comprise babysitters or teachers who can talk in your favor.
Kinds of Texas child custody
A vital step in developing parenting plans is forming a custody arrangement that both parents are bound to follow. A couple of options for Texas conservatorship are:
- Sole custody –If a parent is made sole managing conservatorship, then that parent would be liable to make important decisions related to the child. This factor becomes effective when the behavior of a parent threatens the well-being of the child in some form, and it can be from alcohol or drug issues, abuse, neglect, or other issues.
- Joint custody– In joint managing conservatorship, both parents share some duties, physical possession, and rights of the child. Joint managing takes several forms for duties and rights, including agreements and various types of tie-breaker structures.
Applying for child visitation orders
If you are handling a tough or vindictive former partner or spouse who violates present court orders or is barring you from spending quality time with your child, or if you require enforcing or modifying visitation orders, you must hire a Houston custody lawyer. He will work incessantly to assist you in acquiring the results you deserve. Some remedies to bring legal pressure comprise making the other parent responsible in contempt, awarding you extra visitation time, assessment of the costs and fees of the lawyer against the other parent.